[KS] can Asian Americans have a voice in Asian Studies?

Tatiana.Gabroussenko Tatiana.Gabroussenko at bigpond.com
Sat Sep 27 09:53:15 EDT 2003

  Dear Ann! I am no American and no Asian, and, probably, I am missing something, but... Honestly, I found no rebuke in poor "WASP" response. (What a funny word, by the way. Calling names is an offence even in kindergarten). Why do not presuppose that this...I prefer to call him person--that this person just meant to give you a credit, a compliment? He is studying a culture, to which you naturally belong, as he supposes, by the right of your birth, by the color of your skin, even before you started to study it. It just means that you must understand it deeper and learn quicker then he does. Probably, when talking about "your culture" he referred to the culture of your ancestors, in which you might be interested in. What is so viciously "WASPish" about it?
 And how did you know that he denied your American self? Did he try to speak Korean with you before you opened your mouth? Or sing "Ariran" as a greeting?
 May be, you just took it all wrong and your Harvard professor was a nice, kind guy? A little bit clumsy with compliments, but definitely good-willing.
 (Off-topically: I always feel flattered when my friends referring to some unreasonable behavior of Kim Chong-il tell me:"O, this is YOUR Korea again....")
Best regards, Tatiana (female).