[KS] Re: Response to Serk-bae Suh's Comments

Steven Park steven.park at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 27 13:51:48 EDT 2003

Mr. Serk-bae Suh,
Hello.  My name is Steve Park.  I'm a grad student at UC Berkeley.  I
read your comments and fell compelled to make a response.

The U.S. government is not aggressive against North Korea because it
has little alternative... North Korea holds South Korea hostage.  Any
military action prompted by the U.S. could potentially escalate to
full-scale war on the peninsula.  In this case, yes, the U.S. would
feel the pain (as it did in 1950).  But, the real "loser" in this
scenario would be South Korea.  Hence, the South Korean government's
strong efforts to lobby the U.S. government to forego a military option
against North Korea.  The U.S. government understands this.  Perhaps
more now than in 1994.

I cannot (in good faith) defend the actions or the foreign policy of
the U.S. government in all cases, but I would like to mention that the
U.S. government, like all others, conducts itself along mostly realist
lines, that is, along lines of national self-interest (with the
exception of certain exceptional presidents like Woodrow Wilson).
However, there are more than a few cases when the national interests of
the U.S. happen to coincide with other countries in particular, or the
rest of mankind in general.  The elimination of terrorism and the
establishment of liberal democracies will not only make it safer for
the U.S., but for all 191 countries.  Certainly, South Korea didn't
have any oil when the U.S. (or should I say U.N.) defended her in 1950.
  God's benevolence didn't save her from war then.  No... it was
containing or rolling back communism then (Korea, Vietnam, Cuba), and
now, it's stopping terrorism (Afghanistan, Iraq).

And remember, South Korea's foreign policy isn't any nobler or
grander... their foreign policy is based as much on the national
interest.  Take for example the U.S. economic sanctions imposed on
Libya (because they had been state sponsors of terrorism).  To take
advantage of the economic vacuum, South Korea actively conducts
business with that state (to the chagrin of the U.S. government).

At the end of the day, it's the U.S. vision for a safer democracy that
compels the U.S. to reform Iraq into a liberal democracy.  While the
vision may have taken an authoritarian detour for some four decades in
South Korea, there too, liberal democracy has sprung up to the
betterment of its citizens (who now have a GNP per capita that is about
16 times greater).  Could that have been possible without a
"belligerent" U.S.?  And, I see that you are studying (or studied) at
UCLA.  Not too many students from North Korea get to leave the country
to study...

To close, the U.S. will continue to work with South Korea (who I feel
is a strong ally), along with other member nations in the region, in
defusing the current nuclear crisis.  But, I'd ask you to remember that
the sole reason why the military option is not feasible there is
because it would be so horrible to South Korea and her citizens.

Thank you for hearing me out and I look forward to your response.

Regards,
Steve Park