[KS] Re: Jong-il personality cult (B. Jackson)

N eo adharsa at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 28 13:36:14 EDT 2003

>Since the US is a representative democracy, I think it is proper for all
>American citizens to say "we" when we refer to our government.

I didn't know it was still possible for educated grown-ups to use the
phrase, "representative democracy" without at least cracking a smile.

I would like just to mention the many who enjoy and exercise the very
"proper" and basic freedom not to identify themselves so readily with their
government. That is one of the precious, wonderful things about America.
Conflicting opinions existing in proximity is even a good reason to love
your country.

>>I meant "we" in a broad sense as "we Americans" as represented by
> >>our elected government.

Given the last presidential "election", where we witnessed Charles Darwin
himself proven wrong before the world, there are even many who find
themselves obliged to use the term "elected government" with their tongues
stuck so far into their cheeks it's beginning to hurt.

They are less vocal, to be sure--or, more to the point--less audible.

In contrast to Mr. Brown's usage, they might be subsumed under my use of the
pronoun "we" (were I inclined to speak for an entire nation of individuals
with such strength of conviction).

I'm not (nor have I ever been) a member of the communist party, but I'm
guessing that rarely has it been less "proper" to use the word "we" when
refering to oneself and one's government in one syllable.

That's just my opinion. I can't speak for the opinions of other individuals.
(But for the chill wind blowing of late, those too might be heard or--some
day, even represented.)

>Always I find it necessary to dissasociate the people of North Korea from
>their Pyongyang rulers, for instance.

I am grateful for the fact that most people in Korea share your common sense
and make a similar axiomatic distinction with regard to me as a foreigner.

Best Wishes and Respectfully,
B. Jackson

Neo's Hanja
http://neo_hanja_2003.tripod.com/Neohanjapages/neohanja_main.htm