[KS] OBITUARY - Warsaw University, Poland

christoph janasiak christoph_janasiak at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 2 06:40:13 EST 2004

Dear Colleagues,

Overcome with grief, we inform that Prof. Dr. Halina Ogarek-Czoj, the
eminent scholar of Korean studies in Poland, the former Head of Korean
Section at Warsaw University, passed away on 23 November 2004, after a long
illness.

Dr. Halina Ogarek-Czoj was a recognized connaisseur and translator of Korean
literature as well as author of numerous books, articles and academic works
on Korea.
She has always been the greatest propagator of Korean culture, literature,
religion and history in Poland. Dr. Halina Ogarek-Czoj was also a
magnificent academic teacher and devoted friend to generations of students
in Poland as well as abroad.

Despite of suffering caused by the deadly illness, She completed three new
books, two of which were published while She was still alive. The last one -
on history of Korean literature - is to be published soon.

To everyone who knew Dr Ogarek-Czoj, Her death means a huge loss.
The family has lost a wonderful mother and grandmother. Her colleagues of
Korean section have lost a Great Master. Korea itself has just lost one of
the greatest connaisseurs and propagators of its culture.

We shall remember Her always.       R.I.P.

Dr. Christoph Jan Janasiak
   Assistant Professor

On behalf of the academic staff of the
    Korean Studies Section,