[KS] Introductory reading on Confucianism

Vladimir Tikhonov vladimir.tikhonov at east.uio.no
Tue Jan 13 03:34:27 EST 2004

Dear Morgan,

Have you seen an English outline of Korean Confucianism by Prof. Keum
Jang-tae (KUm Changt'ae), entitled <Confucianism and Korean Thoughts>
(Jimoondang Publishing Company, Seoul, 2000, 246 p.)? It looks like quite a
good overview, but the only pity is that the shortcomings  of its only too
literal English translation are obvious even to a non-native speaker like
me - and would offend the eye of a native speaker perhaps in a stronger
way. Then, a reader gets a strong impression that the book was prepared to
publication in a great hurry - the first part (up to p. 124) lacks
footnotes, and so on. But, despite all these problematic points, it seems
to be one of the few professional attempts to make an outline of Korean
Confucian history.

Greetings,

Vladimir

At 15:02 12.01.2004 -0800, you wrote:

>Dear All,
>
>Can anyone suggest a good introductory reading on Confucianism in Korea? I
>know of many excellent readings on certain proponents, rulers, periods, and
>movements within Korean Confucianism, but I am having trouble finding a good
>text that explains the fundamentals, in a Korean context, for undergraduate
>students.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Morgan
>
>*****************
>Morgan Pitelka
>Asian Studies Department
>408 Johnson Hall
>Occidental College
>1600 Campus Road
>Los Angeles, CA 90041
>1-323-259-1421
>mailto:mpitelka at oxy.edu
>*****************

Vladimir Tikhonov,
Department of East European and Oriental Studies,
Faculty of Arts,
University of Oslo,
P.b. 1030, Blindern, 0315, Oslo, Norway.
Fax: 47-22854140; Tel: 47-22857118
Personal web page: http://folk.uio.no/vladimit/
                    http://www.geocities.com/volodyatikhonov/volodyatikhonov.html
Electronic classrooms: East Asian/Korean Society and Politics:
                        http://folk.uio.no/vladimit/eastasianstudies.htm
                        http://www.geocities.com/uioeastasia2002/main.html
                        East Asian/Korean Religion and Philosophy:
                        http://www.geocities.com/uioeastasia2003/classroom.html