[KS] Korean Borders

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Jan 28 00:44:47 EST 2004

Thanks for the clarification and info, Professor Ledyard.

About your explanation as regards to Kando (below), please allow me
to further clarify what I tried to say before:

Yes, what you say about Kando being in Korean maps etc. is all
correct, but that represents indeed the Korean view only -- now and
then. When I wrote, and you criticized that, that the western half of
the border was more of a loose concept, then this is exactly what I
meant: Kando was during some periods considered Korean in Korea, but
not so in China, which, as you point out yourself, was not even fully
aware of the Manchu dealings with the Korean court on that issue. But
I think we might miss the actual point here -- as I see it -- that
is, most of the time it was a non-issue between the Chinese court and
the Koreans, given the nature of the sadaejuûi relationship between
Korea and Qing China.

Frank