[KS] Censorship in democratic Korea

D. Scofield d_scofield at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 8 06:57:18 EDT 2004

Actually, the public outcry was hardly the ground-swell of disgust that some
articles (Chosun) would have us believe. Most members of Korea's most
popular on-line forums, for example, did not protest MBC's broadcast of the
Berg video. Indeed, the video was/is freely available on the internet in
Korea.

It is also worth noting that South Korean officials have not shown the same
concern for other victims of terrorism. Less than a week after the 9-11
attacks, advertisements using cartoon images of Bin Laden and the towers
were shown throughout Seoul in a bid to sell a Sports newspaper.

As for media censorship, it's interesting that the majority of South Koreans
are either unaware of the government's on-going IP blocking campaign or are
not interested. Korea's avid internet users, those seemingly most effected
by the governments actions, have remained generally silent on the issue. No
candle-light vigils in memory of lost freedoms.

David Scofield