[KS] An old book about Korea

Gari Keith Ledyard gkl1 at columbia.edu
Fri Jul 30 00:31:12 EDT 2004

Dear Anthony,
 	It's not from the early 20th century, but most of the rest of your
description matches <The Koreans and their Culture> by Cornelius Osgood,
Ronald Press, New York, 1951.  I have an original copy--it indeed was the
first book I ever read on Korea--but I believe it was reprinted by another
U.S. publisher in the 70s or 80s.  Osgood was an anthropologist who in
1947 did a village study in a hamlet called S^ondup'o (on the southern
coast of Kanghwa Island, I think in Kilsang-my^on).  He had earlier done
ethnographic work in China also.  I thought his village study (which
constitutes the first section of the book), though not done under ideal
conditions and I think cut short before he was really finished, evoked the
people beautifully and sympathetically.  When the Korean War broke out in
1950, he responded to an appeal to write a general book on Korean culture,
and added to his village study a much less successful section on Korean
history, largely based on Hulbert and Gale, but also including material
drawn from ancient and traditional Chinese ethnographic literature (in
these aspects it did indeed look very much like a book of the early 20th
century).  There was another section on art which had some sensitive
impressions and insights.  There were a large number of black-and-white
photographic illustrations of rural scenes and plates of standard works of
Korean art. The book ended with a general description of Korea as it
appeared to him under a split Soviet and American occupation.  He tried to
be even-handed, but obviously had no access to the north.  He was a
generally good observer.  He was for a long time Professor of Anthropology
at Yale.  --Gari Ledyard