[KS] Re: reproductions at Japanese institutions

robinson at icu.ac.jp robinson at icu.ac.jp
Thu Nov 4 21:13:06 EST 2004

Dear Colleagues,

Gene's interest in obtaining reproductions from Japanese institutions
introduces us to the procedures for requesting reproductions.  I know that
I am not the only listserve member to have requested reproductions in
Japan.  I know too that there are various procedures in Japan.  Others may
wish to add their own experiences or describe procedures that differed
from those I outline below.

Japanese university libraries, public archives, and private archives that
are open to the public will allow reproductions.  If you seek reproduction
of a text classified as a rare book, the institution may be less willing,
of course.  In my experiences, only a few institutions allow one to take
photographs with a camera or a digital camera.  They will be quite angry
if you are caught violating that rule.  I recall watching a staff member
race toward a researcher and, arriving before the third click of the
digital camera, strongly warn him against taking further photographs.  It
is best to inquire about personal photography beforehand.

If no one before you has requested a full reproduction of the text (J.
zen), the institution typically will require you (or your funding source)
to pay for the following: photography and production as a microfilm; cost
of printing onto paper from the microfilm; a fee for the company (J.
gyousha) performing the work; postage and handling.  Sometimes one must
also pay what amounts to insurance covering the text during its transport
to and from the institution.

Regarding the printing onto paper, you may indicate the size of paper
preferred.  The size of paper chosen may necessitate reduction or
enlargement of the photographs.  Printing on A4 paper will be less
expensive than printing on larger paper.  The text may also be printed in
its original size. (The Japanese term for printing in the text's original
size is "gensun".)  In this case, the cost becomes difficult to calculate
beforehand because you may not know which size of paper the gyousha will
select.  If you wish to receive color reproductions, the color photography
and the color printing will add to the price.

Also, requesting from afar a partial reproduction of a text may result in
wrong pages being reproduced.  No matter how specific your instructions
may be, the individual(s) processing the paperwork and the photographer
will not be experts in the topic you are researching.  For example, the
numbering of pages may lead to confusion.  (Is the researcher also
counting the two blank folio pages at the front of the text?, staff may
wonder.)  The amount of time needed for completion of the reproduction
will vary from institution to institution.  One archive I have worked at
collects requests and forwards them to the gyousha at the company's next
scheduled visit (twice a month in this instance).

In sum, your text may become quite expensive.  As an example, I have
acquired a printed reproduction of a text that required approximately 150
photographs.  This text cost more than 30,000 yen, or more than US$300.
The microfilm remains with the institution.  On only a few occasions have
I received the (a?) microfilm copy instead of a paper copy.

To clarify one point about photography, the photograph will include the
two page faces visible when the text is opened (e.g., pp. 2-3 or 15b-16a).
 Larger texts, such as those at approximately B4 or A5 may be photographed
one page face at a time.  This may be more effective especially if you are
working with a manuscript text or with a printed text in which the Chinese
characters, hangul, and/or kana were printed in different sizes.

All of the details outlined above and more (air mail? sea mail?) will
require detailed discussion with the institution's staff at the time of
your request.  If requesting from afar, the discussions will become even
more important.

Just a few thoughts.

Ken Robinson