[KS] destroyed buildings in Korea

Hyung I. Pai hyungpai at eastasian.ucsb.edu
Wed Nov 10 21:14:23 EST 2004

Dear List,
I have an extensive list of Colonial Government published archaeological, art
historical, and monuments excavations, reconstructions reports and museum
catalogues in the bibliography section of my book entitled:Constructing Korean
Origins (Asia Center, Harvard University Press 2000). This is by no means an
exhaustive list but are the ones readily available in major university
archives
in Japan or Korea. Universities in America with significant East Asian
collections like Harvard/Yenching, UCLA, and Berkeley also own at least the
entire series of the Album of Korean Antiquities (Chosen Sotokufu publications
in 18 volumes with the best print quality of images, illustrations,
photographs
and accurate measurements from Koguryo tombs, Nangnang remains, Silla Buddhist
sculpture, Koryo Palman taechanggyong, Three Kingdoms pagodas all the
way up to
Yi dynasty palaces, tombs and paintings). The original drawings and maps (
surveyed, mapped and photographed during the late Meiji and early Taisho
period) are now housed at the Tokyo University Architecture department
archives
since the main architectural historian Sekino Tadashi was a professor there.
Professor Saotome- a Korean archaeologist at Tokyo University has also
recently
published a catalogue of the original card files (names of sites, dates,
descriptions of finds, and periods) that Sekino Tadashi compiled for the
Colonial Government Committtee on Antiquities registry of Korean relics and
monuments (1916-1943). I believe the Tokyo university museum and architecture
department is planning a major retrospective exhibition
of these original drawings, maps, reproductions of spectacular Koguryo
tombs abd
frescoes done by colonial artists and engineers in 2005 June.
These Chosen Koseki Zufu reports have also been duplicated by publishing
companies in South Korea (Yonginbon) and can be ordered though I think
you have
to buy the whole set. The reason for doing this they serve as the original
blueprints in the post-war reconstructions projects by the Office of Cultural
Properties for tourism since they are the earliest "scientifically" documented
photos and illustrations of Korean remains.
By no means were these Korean remains destroyed . This is another one of those
colonial tropes floating around in the post war anti-Japanese rhetoric. These
ancient Korean remains were carefully preserved, studied, recorded and
regsitered as part of Japan's state cultural properties as Kokuho (imperial
treasures) as part of their imperial cultural policy to incorporate the Korean
peninsula, its ancient history and its people as part of their ancestral
homelands (Nissen dosoron). Korea's ancient relics and remains were reclaimed
as "Proto-Japanese" and the 1910 annexation of the Korean peninsula as a
destined return and union of the two races by Japanese politicians and
historians during the colonial period.