[KS] Dong Jae Yim's Ph.D. dissertation (Harvard University)

Frank Joseph Shulman fshulman at umd.edu
Tue Nov 16 21:48:40 EST 2004

Dear Colleagues,

Unless there has been a recent change in its policies, the Harvard
University Archives will NOT lend copies of its dissertations through
interlibrary loan but will make reproductions available for purchase
whenever possible.  Whether the Harvard-Yenching Library in turn will, or
will not, lend the duplicate copy of a Harvard University dissertation that
it holds is a question that should be directed to Dr. James K.M. Cheng,
Librarian, at jkcheng at fas.harvard.edu.  He presumably will forward the
inquiry to the appropriate staff member if he chooses not to respond
himself.

For everyone's immediate information, I am appending to this message the
following:

(1) The draft of a bibliographical entry for Dong Jae Yim's dissertation
that I have prepared for inclusion in my forthcoming 12,000-entry reference
work, "Doctoral Dissertations on Korea: An Annotated Bibliography of Studies
in Western Languages, 1903-2000, with an Appendix of More Recently Completed
Dissertations".  (Please e-mail me directly if you would like to ensure that
your own dissertation is properly cited and/or receive an up-to-date
overview of this bibliographical project.)

(2) A statement regarding the availability of Harvard University
dissertations, current as of Winter 2001, that appears on pages 614-15 of my
most recently published reference work, "Doctoral Dissertations on Hong
Kong, 1900-1997: An Annotated Bibliography: with an Appendix of
Dissertations Completed in 1998 and 1999", coauthored with Anna Leon Shulman
(Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press, 2001. xxxvii, 823p. [University of
Hong Kong Libraries publications, no.12]).

Can anyone provide me with the following information that will enable me to
complete the draft bibliographical entry above for Dong Jae Kim's
dissertation:

(a) Dr. Kim's gender (male or female)
(b) Dr. Kim's year of birth
(c) Year in which Im Sang-won died  [I believe that the dissertation
indicates that Im was born in 1638]

Thank you very much in advance.

Frank Joseph Shulman
Bibliographer, Editor and Consultant for Reference Publications in Asian
Studies
9225 Limestone Place
College Park, Maryland 20740-3943
E-mail: fshulman at umd.edu

November 16, 2004

on 11/16/04 6:12 PM, Eugene Y. Park at parkey at uci.edu wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm trying to get hold of a dissertation:
>
> Dong Jae Yim, "Factional Ties in Seventeenth-Century Korea: A Reevaluation
> of Traditional Concepts," Ph.D. diss., Harvard U., 1976.
>
> It's not available through UMI service, and I'm not sure if Harvard would
> avail its depository copy through interlibrary loan.  Can anyone give me a
> suggestion or lend me a copy (it's a fairly compact volume)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gene Park
>

> **************************************
> Eugene Y. Park
> Assistant Professor
> Department of History
> Krieger Hall 200
> University of California, Irvine
> Irvine, CA 92697
> Tel. (949) 824-5275
> Fax. (949) 824-2865
> ***************************************

YIM, Dong Jae.

 Factional Ties in Seventeenth Century Korea: A Reevaluation of Traditional
Concepts.  Harvard University [United States], 1976 (Ph.D. in History and
East Asian Languages).  Chairperson/Major Adviser: Edward W. Wagner.  1,
214p.  No published abstract.  Copies are available at the Harvard
University Archives (Pusey Library, Cambridge, Mass. 02138, U.S.A.), call
no.HU 90.11198 Harvard Depository, and at the Harvard-Yenching Library,
Harvard University, call no.(W) TW HU 90 (1976) Yi.

Focusing on the mid to late seventeenth century, when factional strife
reached its zenith, Yim's study (based in particular on the Sillok) examined
both the major and minor events of the period and the workings of various
institutions from the vantage point of one participant, Im Sang-won (1638-),
a prolific writer who attained the rank of Sixth State Councillor "in a
generally hostile environment", survived a series of purges during the
reigns of King Hyonjong and King Sukchong, and "in the process insured the
political survival of his family and descendants".

Contents: Part One: Background.  1. Introduction.  2. The Setting.  Part
Two: The Case of Im Sang-won.  1. The Early Years: 1665-1674.  2. The Years
of Partisan Politics, 1674-1688.  3. The Purge of 1689 and After.  Part
Three: Conclusion.  1. Family and Friends.  2. The Regional Factor.
Bibliography: pp.212-14.

====

PLEASE NOTE: The information below dates from Winter 2001

HARVARD UNIVERSITY

    Since the late nineteenth century, copies of all Harvard University
Ph.D., Ed.D. and Th.D. dissertations have been deposited with the University
Archives (Pusey Library, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass. 02138;
Telephone: 617-495-2461;  Fax: 617-495-8011;  E-mail:
archives-ref at hulmail.harvard.edu).  Hardcover copies of the most recently
accepted theses are housed in the Archives on campus; hardcover copies of
all earlier titles are now kept at an off-campus storage facility and can be
retrieved in response to requests that are submitted at least two working
days in advance of the date when they are needed.  Microfiche copies are
routinely made available in lieu of the hardcover theses (which are treated
as archival preservation copies) for on-site patron use whenever they exist
in that format.  They may be consulted in the Government Documents and
Microforms Department reading room on level one of Lamont Library.  (For
further information about accessing microforms there, consult the
department's World Wide Web site at the following address:
http://data.fas.harvard.edu/ssp/gov_docs/index.html)  Duplicate copies of
selected dissertations on East Asia are also held by the Harvard-Yenching
Library (2 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge, Mass. 02138).  Since March 1982,
Harvard University doctoral dissertations from the Graduate School of Arts
and Sciences (GSAS) have been routinely included in the UMI (formerly known
as University Microfilms International) microfilming program.  Prior to that
date, only a few departments in GSAS‹notably Astronomy and
Chemistry‹regularly sent their degree recipients' theses to Ann Arbor; and
with a few exceptions, abstracts of Harvard theses never appeared in print.
The University Archives does not currently participate in any interlibrary
loan program (it discontinued its policy of lending the second copies of
doctoral dissertations and senior honors theses to most other institutions
in June 1974), but 35mm positive microfilm and unbound paper copies of
unrestricted pre-1982 dissertations that are unavailable from UMI may be
purchased from Imaging Services, Widener Library, Room 90, Harvard
University, Cambridge, Mass. 02138  (Telephone: 617-495-3995;  Fax:
617-495-0403;  E-mail: imaging at fas.harvard.edu).  Graduate School of
Business Administration non-restricted theses are available from UMI
beginning with the school's 1972 dissertations and Graduate School of
Education theses are available from UMI beginning with 1977.  Positive
microfilm and paper copies of their respective theses prior to those years
may be purchased from Imaging Services at Widener Library.  All inquiries
regarding price estimates should be directed in writing to that office.
Note that prices vary depending on whether a master negative microfilm copy
of a requested dissertation already exists.  (If a master negative microfilm
of a dissertation must first be produced to fulfill an incoming request, the
price for an unbound photocopy‹as of January 2001‹is $105.00, and for a 35mm
positive microfilm copy, $65.00.  Postage and handling are included for
domestic orders; postage for international orders, particularly for airmail
and for courier service, is extra.  If a master negative already exists, the
price for an unbound photocopy is 25¢ per page and for a 35mm positive
microfilm copy 12¢ per frame, plus postage and handling.)  Doctor of Design
dissertations from Harvard's Graduate School of Design are available from
UMI; they are not available on interlibrary loan.  Dissertations from the
Harvard Medical School, the School of Dental Medicine, and the School of
Public Health are neither sent to UMI nor abstracted in Dissertation
Abstracts International.  Copies are deposited in the Rare Books Department
of the Countway Library of Medicine (10 Shattuck St., Boston, Mass. 02115;
Tel.: 617-432-2142;  Fax: 617-432-0693), however, and may be purchased from
that library as long as they are more than five years old.  The Harvard Law
School also does not participate in the UMI microfilming program, but
selected S.J.D. theses have been microfilmed as part of the "Hein's Legal
Theses and Dissertations Microfiche Project" and are commercially available
on diazo microfiche at a 24x reduction in standard 98-page format from
William S. Hein & Co., Inc., 1285 Main Street, Buffalo, New York 14209-1987
(Tel.: 1-800-828-7571;  Fax: 716-883-8100;  E-mail: mail at wshein.com;  World
Wide Web site: http://www.wshein.com).  Individual theses are sold at a
minimum charge of $10.00 (as of January 2001), with the actual price
depending on the number of fiche involved.  Print copies from the fiche can
be provided at an additional charge.  Contact the Special Collections
Department, Harvard Law School Library (Langdell Hall, Cambridge, Mass.
02138) for information regarding the availability of all other S.J.D.
theses.