[KS] Koreans in Japanese Internment Camps in WW II?

Jim Hoare jim at jhoare10.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Oct 21 08:42:44 EDT 2004

I assume that this means "Internment camps for Japanese". If so, then I am
sure that many Koreans were detained - Koreans were, after all, viewed
internationally as Japanese citizens _ nothing to do with taking Japanese
names, but a consequence of the annexation of Korea in 1910 and its
subsequent status as a Japanese colony.

I do not have the details to hand, but in the British case, Koreans were
officially enemy aliens until the 1952 Japanese Peace Treaty. This was true
even after the establishment of the ROK, which Britain recognized. However,
while this remained the legal position after 1948, as far as I know in fact
nobody tried to treat Koreans as Japanese citizens after 1948. Before that,
of course, a number of Koreans were tried as minor war criminals by British
(and other) courts. The relevant papers on much of this can be found in the
FO371 and WO series of papers at the National Archives in Kew.

Jim Hoare