[KS] Korean edge: Japanese learning Korean and Koreanbecoming Japanese?

Dennis Lee brightrising at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 23 19:36:41 EDT 2004

I  agree with Professor King. Desire to learn/maintain the language matters
much more than language similarity.

I think Mr. Lee is implying that Korean and Japanese should be close enough
that language maintenance should be relatively easy.  However even with the
simliarities between Korean and Japanese, there are enough differences
(especially in pronunciation) to make it difficult for a native Japanese
speaker (including ethnic Koreans in Japan) to learn it. From talking to
students at Yonsei Korean Language Institute, the Japanese and jaeil kyopos
had a very difficult time in Levels 1-3. But after learning grammar and
switching to learning hanja vocabulary in Levels 4-6, the native Japanese
speakers had an advantage over everybody else once they discovered the magic
rules to switch Sino-Japanese to Sino-Korean and vice-versa.

Certain aspects of Korean such as the counting system and the subtle
differences between -hako issta versus shite imasu causes confusion for
native-Japanese speakers. This is only eclipsed by their pronouncing
problems with finals and o^/u^. Understandably the Chinese had a worse time
with the grammar. However I was surprised that the native Chinese speakers
(choso^njok included) did not learn to convert the Korean pronunciation of
hanja into hanyu as fast as the Japanese did with kanji. I would've guessed
that having the -ng  and closer-sounding intitials would have made things
easier (e.g. "wang" for king instead of Japanese "ou").

In any case, the learners at KLI represented a small fraction of the ethnic
Koreans back home; the general consensus being that most of the 2nd/3rd+
generation Koreans were happily assimilated and not actively interested in
pursuing Korean except for business or a fascination with Korean pop
culture.

Dennis Lee