[KS] lost in progress

Yuh Ji-Yeon j-yuh at northwestern.edu
Wed Oct 27 12:07:43 EDT 2004

with all due respect, the responses to Kevin seem to have missed his main
points, and so I come away from this discussion thread with the distinct
feeling of having heard several people talking past each other.

Kevin raises some critical questions that need to be seriously addressed
not only in the field of Korean studies and regarding literature and art,
but in the arts and  humanities in general. the notion of the universal,
east/west dichotomy, traditional/modern/avant-garde distinctions, etc. have
been important categories and concepts for interpreting, analyzing and
evaluating art, literature, and culture broadly defined. these concepts
have also served to create and reinforce hierarchies of worth that
privilege western forms and values. in other words, they emerge from and
reinforce relationships of power. it is time, i think, to cast around for
new guiding concepts that do not reinforce tenets that have been central to
orientalist forms of knowledge production. while certain aspects of
post-modernism may appeal, that too has been problematic and has failed to
break away and provide something radically new, at least from the
perspective of breaking away from orientalist modes.

there is actually quite a bit of literature now that addresses some of
these concerns. one of my students is reworking her dissertation into a
book, and she looks at the origins of an Indian dance form, bharata natyam,
and american modern dance to argue that distinctions between tradition and
modern do not make sense and have served to privilege one form as high art
and the other form as merely ethnic dance. she makes a very careful
argument based on extensive archival research as well as fieldwork within
dance communities. it's the kind of scholarship that we are likely to see
more of, and that we ought to encourage.

best,
ji-yeon

At 11:39 PM 2004.10.24, you wrote:
>Leaving aside the question of whether it is safe to assume that anything
>is a "universal phenomenon", (that is just too big a ball of wax) and
>leaving aside an East -vs- West division of the world which is perhaps the
>most bogus false dichotomy in history....
>
>I would just point out that i was not questioning whether cultures other
>than our own value innovation. That the other cultures you mention value
>what they might see as "progress" is clear. I was raising the possibility
>that you were putting to much of a premium on innovation as a value in
>art, in general. Additionally there is the whole question of what is and
>constitutes artistic "progress" (and the related notion of "progress" in
>art as being depicted as linear, and who decides what progress is, etc.)
>The very notion of artistic, aesthetic, and historical progress is
>problematic. These issue seem to me paramount in Korean Arts, and it is
>interesting to me to see how certain artists address them in their work
>and talk about them (I think here of some of what Hwang Byoung-gi has had
>to say in some of his interviews).
>
>Again, i ask, do we listen to the Rite of Spring, Miles Davis, Ornette
>Coleman, read Virginia Wolff, Yi Sang, etc., etc. & co. , only because
>they represent progress and caused a ruckus and we can tell anecdotes
>about how hard it was for them to get publish, performed, etc. ... or are
>there other values we hold, or intrinsic qualities in these works that
>cause these pieces to resonate? Or do these works live on only because
>everyone recognizes your "fundamental fact"? The only (or in your words
>*exact*) reason they are "in the canon" is because they broke new ground.
>I don't want works excluded from "the canon" because they are radical or
>subversive. I also don't want works that are not "radical" excluded
>because the they didn't ruffle the prerequisite number of feathers. You
>seemed to suggest that a work was only worthy, if it was radical. If that
>was true huge tracts of Korean dances, musics, and poems, (for example)
>would have to be purged from the books, as would largish swaths of
>"western classical" music and "western" literature ... Also, implied is
>that pieces that are not innovative (per se) are never excluded because
>they are too conservative. This happens too.
>
>As a composer, and an "avant-guard" (yuck!) one at that, i am in the
>ironic position of feeling like i often have to defend, artists whose work
>is not confrontational, or works that are made up entirely of things "that
>have been done before." This is one of the things that leads to the
>appropriation of non-western art forms, for example.....
>
>I once asked a very well known and established composer why he worked with
>the music and instruments of Tibet. I expected that he would say something
>beautiful about the sounds of the instruments, or the performance
>practices, or how the culture had resonated with him, or his deep regard
> [...]

Yuh, Ji-Yeon
Assistant Professor of History
Associate Director of Asian American Studies
Northwestern University
Harris 202
1881 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208 USA