[KS] Margaret Drabble + Hermits

Keith Howard kh at soas.ac.uk
Wed Aug 3 05:33:41 EDT 2005

Folks,

Thanks, Aidan, for alerting us all to Margaret Drabble's article.
There have been a number of postings on the 'Hermit Kingdom' and
'orientalist' issue, but it would be interesting to hear  from others
whether her comments about political correctness -- or more
precisely, about what she seems to regard as unnecessarily pedantic
concerns for 'accuracy' expressed by her anonymous critic -- are
reasonable (and if her appeal to literary licence is acceptable). As
I read the article, I felt I was engaging with an enlightened and
imaginative mind, and had considerable sympathy for some of her
concerns, since in a number of current research projects I am
exploring ways to bring different perspectives (not just west/north
but east/south) together in co-authored publications. One accepts
that to do so is never easy, and requires negotiation and
understanding on both sides. Her comments indicate she initially
compromised and was then prepared to negotiate on matters of fact,
but found she was offered little space in which to do so. Is this a
reasonable reading of her article?

--
Dr Keith Howard
Reader in Music, SOAS,