[KS] Hermit Country?

William Pore willpore at gwu.edu
Thu Aug 4 14:02:46 EDT 2005

Professor Walraven,

Thank you for stating what you intended by "standard East Asian
practice." My question about such a blanket statement arises not only
from the apparent general assumption that "East Asia" is considered to
be China, Korea and Japan, but not Vietnam (even though based on its
close cultural ties to the other three states it is validly East
Asian), but also because the terms East and Southeast Asia are Western
usages common only since World War II and also because returning
distressed foreigners does not always seem to have been the standard
practice followed in each of those states throughout their histories.

Will Pore