[KS] (no subject)

hhund hhund at fulbright.or.kr
Thu Aug 11 09:56:02 EDT 2005

Dear KS group

While I am delighted that Koreans, after many decades, are paying more and more attention to the foreigners' cemetery, it is true that sometimes the only thing worse than no attention is too much attention.  Sometimes Korean cultural ideas of what is appropriate to the memory of people considered historically important cause a kind of grandiose monumentalism that is at odds with the basically simple Western concepts of burial embodied at Yanghwajin.  I hope people involved in this project will keep such an atmosphere in mind.

Furthermore, I think it important to remember that for the last 100 years the Seoul Foreigners' Cemetery has been under the management of the Seoul Union Church, which meets on the grounds, and that Mapo-gu is very late on the scene (and this is the first I'd heard about Hongik).  Even though the land belongs to the 100th Anniversary Committee of the Korean church, I hope that any group working on the cemetery will remember that the responsibility has been in other hands for many decades, and that those people should have a primary role in future decisions.

Blessings,

Horace H. Underwood

Message: 4