[KS] "Pan-Korean Grand Dictionary"

Stefan Ewing sa_ewing at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 23 19:47:51 EDT 2005

Dear KS list members:

Thanks to Aidan Foster-Carter for the interesting articles.

If such a unified dictionary project really is in the works--one being
undertaken by participants in both the South and the North--how will the
nasty details of differences in orthography, standard pronunciation, etc. be
dealt with?  Will there be cross-references between Southern and Northern
spellings?  If so, which version of the language is to be given priority?
Will the main entry for a word be under the Southern or Northern variant of
the entry word?  Will there be two editions published, one in each country,
with the priority of one standard version of the language over the other
flipped between the two editions?  (This might be the simplest solution, but
undoubtedly the most expensive and labour-intensive.)

With brain-hurting stumpers like this, I now know why I never seriously
considered a career in lexicography.

Yours sincerely,
Stefan Ewing

Scan and help eliminate destructive viruses from your inbound and outbound
e-mail and attachments.
first two months FREE*.