[KS] Rags-to-riches in Korean literature?

Gary Mackelprang gary at cadurx.com
Thu Dec 22 18:08:01 EST 2005

Hi.

I'm new to the list and have been lurking in the background for several
months, afraid to contribute.

I'll introduce myself by taking a chance here and suggesting that
perhaps Heo Jun (1546-1615) would qualify as a "rags-to-riches"
archetype. As I recall, he was born to a concubine, but rose to a
position of prominence (court physician) during Seonjo's reign and
authored the widely acclaimed Dong eui bo gam (sorry--I learned McCune
Reischauer and am struggling with the new Romanization).

Although not strictly a literary figure, he has nevertheless maintained
position of prominence in contemporary Korean culture and has been the
topic of at least one TV docudrama and a historical novel, I believe.

gary

Gary Mackelprang

Cell       (801) 870-8500
Office    (801) 939-9999