[KS] Re: Enforced Romanization_Kando

Ruediger Frank ruediger.frank at univie.ac.at
Wed Feb 23 03:53:07 EST 2005

Dear list,

talking about laws, does anybody know the fate of the proposed bill to
re-claim Kando (Gando)? As far as I know, a group of lawmakers submitted it
to the National Assembly in September 2004, stating that the 1909
Kando-Convention was illegal and had been nullified in 1952 anyway. As I
understand it, the Kando Convention was signed between Japan (acting as the
protectorate power of Korea) and China and recognized Chinese sovereignty
over a huge chunk of land in Manchuria. A colleague also told me that some
kind of a time margin was attached to the convention (99 years???). Was
Kando, at any time after Parhae, a part of Korea? What happened to the bill?

I would appreciate any informed comment on the facts, hoping that this post
will NOT stimulate an overly emotional discussion.

Thank you,

Ruediger

Univ.-Prof. Dr. Ruediger FRANK
East Asian Political Economy
University of Vienna, Austria

please note new contact details for Feb. 14 until Feb. 26, 2005
Visiting Researcher
Nordic Institute of Asian Studies
Copenhagen, DanmarK
Phone: +45-35 32 95 40