[KS] women ph.d.'s in korean history

Yuh Ji-Yeon j-yuh at northwestern.edu
Tue Jan 18 13:22:35 EST 2005

Dear members,

Studies done by academic organizations have found that women in general are
very underrepresented in academia. While they may be plentiful as graduate
students (and this seems to vary depending on the field and whether one is
talking about master's programs or doctoral programs), their numbers
gradually decrease as one goes up the academic ladder. There are more women
in non-tenure-track teaching jobs (lecturers, adjuncts), fewer women as
assistant professors, and even fewer women in tenured positions. There also
seems to be a correlation with institutional size and stature -- overall,
elite private research universities have low proportions of tenured women,
even if they have high levels of women graduate students or women
lecturers, or even tenure-track women faculty. I know of many history
departments struggling with issues of underrepresentation of women as
faculty members and as graduate students. Although there may be some
institutions that buck the trend, every study I've ever seen has shown
significant underrepresentation of women.

What I know of Korean Studies does not indicate to me that the field bucks
the trend in any way, except perhaps in numbers of graduate students. While
it's clear that women have made strides and women are visible in Korean
Studies, it also seems equally clear that there is a long way to go, not
only in Korean Studies, but in academia as a whole.

If anyone is curious about the status of women faculty as revealed in
statistics, there are several articles in the Chronicle of Higher
Education, and it is likely that the main organization in your particular
discipline has already conducted a study.

The question of whether or not women are discouraged from entering and
succeeding in academia is harder to assess, altho there is plenty of
anecdotal evidence. Whatever discouragement exists, though, is not too
different from that which exists in American society as a whole. Study
after study shows that American women are more likely to compromise their
careers to the needs of their husbands and children, less likely to receive
mentorship than their male peers, less likely to be promoted, and tend to
receive significantly lower pay and fewer opportunities for professional
development, and so forth. Again, this isn't just academia. (It isn't even
just America -- it's similar in most countries worldwide, some countries
better, many countries worse.) It seems to be fairly endemic throughout the
working, wage-earning world. The lack of affordable, quality child-care,
consistent male reluctance to take responsibility for housework and
child-rearing, and female reluctance to insist on male responsibility
remain significant factors holding women back. And please, do not post your
anecdotes about the wonderful husband and father or the strong woman who's
in charge, or even better, the genuinely equitable couple. We all know they
exist, and more power to them. They remain, however, the exception rather
than the rule.

Best,
Ji-Yeon

At 01:32 AM 2005.01.18, you wrote:

>Dear members,
>
>I am writing to make a correction about my phd background that Mark
>Peterson just commented on. I did not get a Phd in Korean history at all.
>Though Professor Wagner was initially on my committee, he did not read my
>dissertation at the end. My degree was in Anthropology with a subfield in
>East Asian Archaeology at Harvard under K.C.Chang.
>
>As for the issue of the perceived lack of women in Korean history fields,
>Ilike Charles in recent years in the U.S. at least (having read hundreds
>of proposals for fellowship applications as a CKS member), I was also
>under the impression that there are many women at least in graduate school
>at the MA level (this is the same in South Korea too), though very few
>have landed tenure track jobs yet and at present only a handful are
>tenured in any field.
>
>When I was a history undergraduate student at Sogang, the Korean
>professors including eminent scholars such as Yi Ki-baek and Yi Kwang-rin
>were very frank in advising me to not even bother to apply to Sogang
>graduate school. They told me personally that it was a waste of their time
>and effort to train women when the majority of them get married and leave
>the field. Their discouraging remarks actually pushed me to find a program
>in America that would be more hospital to women. So there are many
>factors, both cultural and institutional involved in why we do not see
>more women in academia who go on to professional careers. But, I believe
>there has been a gradual change in Korea as well. For example, in the
>field of art history, I see many more capable women out there delivering
>papers abroad and getting jobs though as been pointed out by others, many
>are still junior professors.
>
>But, this is a good sign at least that they are getting tenure track jobs
>which is a positive step forward. So I would encourage women to apply to
>Korean programs. Even if you do not end in up in academia, learning East
>Asian languages and studying history is always a good background for
>finding jobs even in business or going on to law school. So, it is
>definitely worth your while
>

>  cra10 at columbia.edu wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>One slight correction to Mark's note: the junior position in UCLA is
>a female graduate of Chicago, not UW (Namhee Lee). As for grad
>students, I don't know about other institutions, but at Columbia
>the ratio of students in Korean history and literature is grossly
>imbalanced in favor of females. Of the twenty or so graduate
>students in Korean Studies in the the departments of East Asian
>Languages and Cultures and in History, only 4 are male. So if
>Columbia is at all representative, the next generation of Korean
>history and literature professors will be mostly women. But I'd be
>curious to hear how the gender balances of graduate populations are
>in other Korean Studies programs.

> [...]

Yuh, Ji-Yeon
Assistant Professor of History
Associate Director of Asian American Studies
Northwestern University
Harris 202
1881 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208 USA