[KS] Re: gender in 20C korea (Yuh Ji-Yeon) [Reading suggestion]

David Kosofsky kayaksky at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 19 09:18:15 EST 2005

Yuh Ji-Yeon (j-yuh at northwestern.edu) wrote:

>Dear colleagues,

>An undergraduate has asked me to teach an independent study
> on Korean women and gender in the 20th century. Suggestions
>would be very welcome for readings. I am looking in particularly
>for readings that discuss the transition from the Chosun dynasty
>to the colonial period and into the
>post-war period and its impact on women ...

I'd suggest you look at Laura Nelson's "Measured Excess: Status, Gender and Consumer Nationalism in South Korea" [ New York: Columbia University Press, 2000] for a  treatment of the intertwining discourses of national identity, consumer practices and gender in South Korea.  The review that appeared on this list will give you a sense of the book's scope and argument--

http://koreaweb.ws/pipermail/koreanstudies_koreaweb.ws/2004-October/004413.html

-- but not of the exceptional descriptive richness that would, I think, make it a very rewarding text for an undergraduate's independent study.

David Kosofsky
Athens, GA.