[KS] women ph.d.'s in korean history

Don Baker dbaker at interchange.ubc.ca
Thu Jan 20 00:29:43 EST 2005

If we were talking about a very large number of Korean history Ph.D.s (say, 500 or more), then a gender imbalance would indicate some sort of systematic discrimination. However, the limited number we are talking about does not allow us to draw any inferences from the numbers alone. We would need to know of specific cases of qualified women applicants being passed over in favor of equally qualifed male applicants before we would be justified in talking about discrimination. If nothing more than gender imbalance in such a small pool is enough to prove that qualified women are being unfairly denied a chance to earn a Ph.D in Korean history, then couldn't we also claim that a similar gender imbalance would prove that qualified men are being unfairly denied a chance to earn a Ph.D in Korean literature?

Don Baker

--
Don Baker
Director, Centre for Korean Research