[KS] Chongjin

Afostercarter at aol.com Afostercarter at aol.com
Mon Jul 4 06:04:09 EDT 2005

A very big "Dank u!" to Lucas for alerting us all to
what is surely the single best account of everyday life
in provincial North Korea over the past terrible decade.

Not only is this very substantial - about 10,000 words -
but Barbara Demick does a skilled and convincing job
of interweaving individual stories with broader social,
economic and political trends.

Ironically, this excellent journalist had been hounded by
the right-wing hate-merchants who so disfigure the American
political scene, for an earlier article which gave the other side
by interviewing a pro-regime DPRK businessman. See eg
http://journals.aol.com/fdrlstpprs2004/TheNewFederalistPapers/entries/1037

Perhaps they will now apologize. Or pigs might fly.

By the way, the second part of the article is also available at
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-chongjin4jul04,0,2287288.s
tory?coll=la-home-headlines

I suggest you hasten to read and download these now!
Not only does the LA Times require registration, but as I recall)
anything more than a week old gets archived and has to be paid for.

To those of you that dwelleth across the pond: Happy Fourth of July!

Aidan

AIDAN FOSTER-CARTER
Honorary Senior Research Fellow in Sociology & Modern Korea, Leeds University

Home address: 17 Birklands Road, Shipley, West Yorkshire, BD18 3BY, UK
tel: +44(0)  1274  588586         (alt) +44(0) 1264 737634          mobile:
+44(0)  7970  741307
fax: +44(0)  1274  773663         ISDN:   +44(0)   1274 589280
Email: afostercarter at aol.com     (alt) afostercarter at yahoo.com      website:
www.aidanfc.net
[Please use @aol; but if any problems, please try @yahoo too - and let me
know, so I can chide AOL]