[KS] myOnguihoe, Ming refugees and naming

Adam Bohnet mixoparth at yahoo.ca
Tue Jul 26 10:32:43 EDT 2005

I wonder if anybody knows the current contact
information for the MyOnguihoe, an organization
founded in 1983 to represent the decendents of Ming
refugees to ChosOn, and, I think, centering around the
families of the nine righteous officials (KuUisa) who
accompanied Hyojong from Mukden.

Also, I am curious about one Wang Imun, one of the
nine righteous Ming officials, whose name (in the
document written "hwi") was changed by Hyojong after
his arrival in ChosOn. I have heard stories of kings
granting new myOng, but always to young children whose
parents were still alive. Also, I am aware of numerous
cases with Japanese or Jurchen, but not with Chinese.
It strikes me as rather
disrespectful to one's parents to change one's myOng
after their death (I believe one reason for using a Ho
was that we should not use lightly the name granted
by our parents.) Were there other cases of kings
granting new myOng to Korean or Chinese adults?

Finally, in the various documents (late 18th and early
19th century) concerning Ming refugees that I have
been reading recently, I have
found numerous examples of the use of Kongbuja for
Confucius (as well as Chubuja for Zhu Xi.) I have read
work by western scholars (in particular, Jensen, in
Manufacturing Confucianism) who have insisted that no
such term ever existed. I admit that I have not delved
into the subject in any great depth and always
considered those claims rather suspect.

Adam Bohnet