[KS] Only Correct: Margaret Drabble licks her Red Queen wounds in the TLS

David Mason mntnwolf at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 30 20:47:42 EDT 2005

Thanks, Prof. Foster-Carter, that article from the
Times Literary Supplement by Margaret Drabble was
very interesting.  Are things really that bad...?

I'm sure I was not the only member of this List who
was particularly struck by this paragraph:

American academe, appearing to speak on behalf of
and in defence of Korea, declared that The Red Queen
was full of crimes, the least of which was a
reference to Korea in the eighteenth century as a
frozen land and, by implication, a "hermit kingdom".
This latter phrase has been used by Koreans and
Westerners for centuries, referring to the Chosun
dynasty's undisputed policy of isolationism, but it
is, I was told, no longer correct. We are now to
believe that the Koreans never were and are not now
hermits. They welcome cultural interchange and
debate. Nevertheless, the phrase "hermit kingdom"
was not to be used, and the publication of my novel
could not be approved. The position seemed to me to
be paradoxical. (When I commented recently on the
fact that the much praised exhibition entitled
Encounters: The meeting of Asia and Europe 1500-1800,
at the Victoria and Albert Museum in 2004, contained
only one Korean artefact amid a profusion of images
from China, Japan and India, I was informed by the
curators that this was because there were so few
encounters. However, it is incorrect to refer to the
"hermit kingdom".)
< < < < < < < < < < < <

Could anybody tell us whether this is indeed true,
that in the American academic world that term for
a historical period of Korea and certain aspects
of its modern reality (particularly the North) is
no longer used, considered incorrect and offensive?
If so, on what sort of grounds?

And what then has replaced that term for describing
this distinctive characteristic...  do we say that
the Koreans of 1640-1880 or the Pyongyang regime &
Southern government officials today were/are just
"highly selective of the types of interactions with
foreign people/ideas that they desired"...?

Or does anyone really proclaim that the Koreans are
all and always have been people that "welcome
cultural interchange and debate"...  Early and
true-hearted multi-cultural globalists?

If this is really true of Korean studies in America
and Europe, my own understandings certainly have a
lot of catching up to do...

Best wishes to all,
David Mason
(who just finished teaching a one-month course on
Korean Cultural History for Konkuk University's
International Summer Program, and is guilty of
having taught the therm "Hermit Kingdom", more
than once in fact)

David A. Mason
Director of Communications, UNWTO ST-EP Foundation
Special Assistant to South Korea's Ambassador of Tourism and Sports
WEBSITE:  http://www.san-shin.org

#502-504, Jugong Apts.  Gangdong-gu, Sangil-dong, Seoul City  134-090
Mobile Phone: 011-9743-9753        home phone or fax: 82-2-442-7391