[KS] romanization absolutism

gkl1 at columbia.edu gkl1 at columbia.edu
Fri Jun 3 16:33:54 EDT 2005

   Bob Ramsey's wonderful piece on Sam Martin and the invention of
the Yale system was a revelation. I had never heard that story,
even though I was in Seoul in 1954 when it was published in the
Cosen ilpo and The Korea Times, with both of which I had something
of an association.
   If the early version of his Yale system was published in Korea as
one of the results of his invitation by Syngman Rhee to render
advice on Korean orthography, then the government of Korea once had
a role quite different from more recent governments' tendency to
exclude foreigners from the deliberative processes. This stimulates
the following:
   One of the obstacles that Yale presents to Everyman is that it
rules out the possibility of accomodating Korean consonantal sandhi
in romanization, which means that we get Laklang and Sinla instead
of Nangnang and Silla (I still like Syilla). This affects a large
number of compound words and would be a problem. Another was the
/wu/ we've been talking about, which gives renderings like
Cwungkwuk for "China".
   I have long held the view that these problems pretty much ruled
Yale out as a practical system for the general public or even for a
lot of scholarly writers who are relatively unable to deal with
linguistics neatness when it upsets their common sense conventions.
 But in the last couple of decades, I've been impressed by how
easily the Pinyin system for Chinese has gained broad acceptance,
in spite of its array of (for English speakers) unusual values for
common letters, c (=aspirated ts), z (=dz), q (=ch, before
palatalized vowels), x (=sh, before the same), etc. Moreover, the
vowels i and u have quite different pronunciations depending on the
preceeding consonant. But professionals and a large part of the
general public have gotten used to these strange spellings, and one
now sees the old Wade-Giles system only rarely or in old books. But
Chinese government support, if not actual insistence, plus the fact
that the system is taught in Chinese schools and every Chinese has
a general understanding of it (in all aspects except word division)
--all this has created a strong supportive environment for making
the rest of the world accept Peking's spelling preferences.
   If the Korean government would accept Yale, and be as publicly
involved, supportive, consistent, and as enlightened as the Chinese
government has been in making it a core part of its education and
information policies nationwide and worldwide, it seems to me that
Yale's much less bizarre equivalences might just as easily come to
be accepted by both professionals and the general public. If such
conditions came about, scholars in general, journalists, and people
like me who cannot accept the defects of "New 2000," would have no
alternative but to abandon McCune-Reischauer and jump on the band
wagon. Koreans themselves would, from school days on, get used to
making the same instinctive consonantal sandhi changes that they do
with Hankul, and maybe they might get away from the universal chaos
of the "maumtaylo" system and develop habits of a more uniform
spelling for their personal names, perhaps approaching the general
situation in China and Japan.
   Yale has many advantages that satisfy the original goals that the
romanization committees were asked to deal with in 1998 and 1999.
1) Its letter-for-letter (in some instances also unambiguous
digraphs) system makes things much easier for Koreans and the rest
of us too;
2) there are no diacritics, only ordinary roman letters are used;
3) unambiguous search capability and other computer applications are
made possible;
4) easy transliteration both from Hankul to Yale and Yale to Hankul.
5) it is a Korea-specific system with no catering to conventional
Western phonetic prejudices.

Just a thought...

Finally, a note on Syngman Rhee (Li Sungman) and Hankul orthography.
One wonders about Rhee's motivation in calling in a foreign scholar
for advice on this question. Rhee never accepted the 1933
thong.il.an on Hankul orthography. It was developed while he was in
exile and the Japanese were in charge (though it was completely a
Korean project from beginning to end), and he would have none of
it. He also seems to have had an emotional attachment to the
orthography of the late 19th century, which in his personal
writings he used to the end of his life. His wrangling with his own
Ministry of Education on this issue was legendary. The academic
establishment was solidly behind the 1933 reforms, not merely
because of their modernity and good sense but especially because
the Japanese had had nothing to do with them, and they never gave
in to him. Do you suppose he called in an international scholar to
get some leverage against these people and their "new" spelling? It
would be interesting to know if Sam Martin could tell us anything
about that.

Gari Ledyard