[KS] Ch'oe Sejin; Days of the Week; Choso^n Dynasty Regnal Years

Sunjoo Kim sunjookim1 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 16 10:13:24 EDT 2005

Dear List members,

After all such interesting discussion on this topic, people might be
interested in knowing how ChosOn people said days in their ordinary
conversations. We, of course, cannot "hear" their conversations, but the
following letter written in vernacular Korean might be insightful. This
letter was written by Kwak Chu (1569-1617) to his wife. This letter along
with more than 170 others were placed inside the coffin of Kwak Chu's wife.
What I give you here is a part of modern Korean rendering of the letter --
sorry if you cannot read Korean -- M-R transliteration (sorry for mistakes,
if any), and English translation. You can find a photo-copy of the original
letter and other information on the letter from, Paek TuhyOn, _HyOnp'ung
Kwak-ssi On'gan chuhae_ (T'aehaksa, 2003), p. 456-59.

¿À¿ù ÃÊÀÌÆ°³¯ (owOl ch'oit'Unnal, the second day of the fifth month)
¿À¿ù ¿­ÀÌÆ°³¯ (owOl yOlit'Unnal, the twelfth day of the fifth month)
¿À¿ù ¿­³ªÈ鳯 (owOl yOlnahUnnal, the fourteenth day of the fifth month)
¿À¿ù ½º¹Ç³ªÈ鳯 (owOl sUmUnahUnnal, the twenty-fourth day of the fifth
month)
¿À¿ù ½º¹Ç¿³»û³¯ (owOl sUmUyOssaennal, the twenty-sixth day of the fifth
month)
À¯¿ù ÃÊ¿³»û³¯ (yuwOl ch'oyOssaennal, the sixth day of the sixth month)
À¯¿ù ÃÊ¿©µå·¿³¯ (yuwOl ch'oyOdUraennal, the eighth day of the sixth month)
ÀÌ ÀûÀº ¿­ÇÑ ³¯À» °¡Àå °¡Àå Á¶½É Á¶½É Ç϶ó. (On those 11 days written here,
you should be extra careful.)

Also, after reading Professor Ledyard's posting on the usage of ch'osun,
chungsun, and hasun, I searched one of the Korean studies database (selected
munjip, official documents, etc.) and found that such terms were indeed used
in writings in literary Chinese during the ChosOn period.

One thing I like to add is an example from the SUngjOngwOn ilgi (Daily
Records of the Royal Secretariat). It marks first fifteen days of the month
as "mangjOn" (ØÐîñ, before full moon) and the rest as "manghu" (ØÐý­, after
full moon).

Sun Joo Kim
Assistant Professor of Korean History
EALC, Harvard University