[KS] behind-the-scene stories of Romanization

Stefan Ewing sa_ewing at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 19 12:47:19 EDT 2005

Dear KS list members:

I replied to Gari Ledyard that I would say no more on this subject, but as
the originator (original instigator?) of this tread, I would like to say a
deep and sincere _taedanhi kamsahamnida_ to Professor Lee for his comments.

I recalled reading in the KS archives that Professor Lee was the main
advocate of an MR-based system in 1984, and that he supported an adaptation
of the 2000 system to allow for transliteration in special circumstances,
both of which he has borne out in his reply.  (It is interesting that he
noted the irresolution of "sy-" to "sh-" in the 1984 system.)

The table that he provided is indeed enlightening, showing so succinctly
comparitive strengths and weaknesses in various systems.  I know there is a
strong argument that people should not be afraid of diacritics and that they
can easily be supported with current technology--and I myself prefer to use
diacritic-heavy McCune-Reischauer romanization--but an attempt to devise a
coherent system that does not rely on them is at least laudable.

Regarding his prediction that "the future of using at least three systems:
Yale in linguistics, MR in Koreanology (at a minimum of usage to decipher
the previous writings) or more, NAKL in all others," that is indeed the
current situation.  As I said in my last comment on this, rather than be
vexed by a plurality of systems, perhaps we should acknowledge that each
system suits its distinct purposes, and is a reflection of the inherent
complexity of the Korean sound system.

Stefan Ewing

to offer.
first two months FREE*.