[KS] Fwd: Question

J.Scott Burgeson jsburgeson at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 17 03:09:18 EST 2005

That's an extremely problematic question because
Philip Ahn made a name for himself mostly playing
non-Korean characters (Japanese, Chinese, etc.).
Meanwhile, one of the earliest and most famous Korean
characters to appear in Hollywood consistently (not as
a bit part) was the manservant Kato in the old Green
Hornet series (1940). Kato was played by Keye Luke, a
Chinese-American actor, and when the serial was later
redone for TV in the '60s the role was played by Bruce
Lee, also Chinese-American, although by that time
Kato's "Koreanness" had become more generalized as
"Asiatic." Anyway, an important distinction should be
made between "ethnic Koreans" and "'Korean characters"
when approaching the below topic...
   --Scott Bug