[KS] Fwd: Question

J.Scott Burgeson jsburgeson at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 17 23:25:08 EST 2005

--- michael Robinson <robime at indiana.edu> wrote:
> Scott:
>
> The original question asked for Koreans/Korean
> Americans on TV that seems
> not so ambiguous.

True, but isn't it one of the truisms of current
cultural studies that "race" and "ethnic identity" are
to varying degrees constructed? That's why the
distinction between "Korean actors" and "Korean
characters" is important in my opinion, since the line
between the two was slippery in Hollywood historically
(as it was with other Asians). Just something I think
is worth keeping in mind when researching the
subject...
   Also, Philip Ahn's first TV role wasn't until 1955
so it is by no means certain that he was the first...
   --Scott Bug