[KS] Inquiry about Kenneth Gardiner

Mark Byington byington at fas.harvard.edu
Sat Mar 19 10:03:45 EST 2005

Dear Frank,

The following response is from Prof. Gardiner, who asked that it be
posted on the listserve.

Mark Byington

---

With regard to the enquiry about my qualifications and background, I
should say that my original major at the School of Oriental & African
Studies in London was in Indian History, with specialization in the
history of pre-Muslim India. I also had to do papers in modern British
and modern European history, as well asstudying Sanskrit. I had quite a
bit of trouble with Sanskit,but coming into awareness of Chinese through
Jerome Ch'en, whom I met in SOAS, I became aware that I had basically a
visual memory, and I found Chinese characters much easier to remember
than the intricacies of Sanskrit grammar. As a result, after doing two
years of national service in the Air Force, when I went back to S.O.A.S.
in 1955, I got a postgraduate scholarship and took classes in Classical
Chinese, taught by Angus Graham, as well as a class in Chinese philosophy
by D.C.Lau. Eventually I undertook my doctorate in the early history of
Korea, especially the kingdom of Koguryo. While studying this at S.O.A.S.,
I received a Japanese Monbusho scholarship, and studied at Kyoto
University from 1959 to 1961 with Professor K. Arimitsu, eventually
returning to England and gaining my Ph.D.in 1964-- with many thanks to
Michael Loewe who went very conscientiously through the draft chapters of
my thesis.

I then returned to Japan,and for 18 months taught at a women's university
in Tokyo before getting the offer of a position teaching Chinese history
at the Australian National University in 1966. I have lived here in
Australia ever since.

Best regards,

Ken Gardiner