[KS] Languages in Korea

DeberniereTorrey djtorrey at yahoo.com
Tue May 24 22:16:09 EDT 2005

I don't know about multiple languages in Korea, except
to say that the dialect of Jeju Island is almost
unintelligible to mainlanders, and although the number
of speakers is decreasing, it's still used.

Among Chinese populations, I believe Fukianese is
still spoken in southern China, Taiwanese (almost
identical to Fukianese) is spoken in Taiwan (these two
dialects are also referred to as Minanyu), as is
Hakka, which is also spoken among Chinese populations
in Malaysia. The Shanghai dialect is also quite
different from Mandarin, and still spoken, as far as I
know.

I'm sure there's someone else on the list who can add
to this info. and perhaps correct any of it that might
be incorrect. I'm a student of Chinese, but certainly
not an expert.

Deberniere Torrey