[KS] Languages in Korea

rupert rupert at aks.ac.kr
Thu May 26 01:21:34 EDT 2005

Thanks for all the replies regarding ancient languages.

The person I am 'talking' to says the source of his information is here:
DISCOVER Vol. 19 No. 06 | June 1998 | Ancient Life
http://www.discover.com/issues/jun-98/features/japaneseroots1455

I am not a subscriber so cannot log on.

Anyway, several are of the opinion that there were several languages in the past. I have asked a few Koreans here in Korea who first said they didn't know then counter responded, hesitatingly, with - 'Surely there was only one language...'

Definitions? To me, languages have separate grammar and vocab whereas dialects have similar grammar and similar vocab, with some differences, especially in pronunciation (English / Scottish). But thinking about it, that would make Japanese and Korean dialects, would it not? Surely the question of why Japanese and Korean grammars are so similar is important.

Anyway, if there were several languages, from where did modern Korean and Japanese originate? Koguryo has been mentioned a few times ... Did unified Silla have a unified language? Did they force assimilation? And I can only guess that as 'Korea' advanced up into Manchuria they occupied peoples of different languages, one of which became dominant.

Curious,

Rupert Atkinson