[KS] Romanization systems

lawrence driscoll lawdri at hotmail.com
Tue May 31 11:27:58 EDT 2005

Dear List:
This thread is very interesting, but to the uninitiated Korean language
learner it must be very intimidating. Granted romanization is a necessary
evil, but to anyone seriously interested in taking up Spoken Korean,
reliance on romanization is self-defeating. I say this because, thanks to
the benevolent King Sejong, learning hangul is quite easy, just as he
intended. Yes, even for the foreigner.
Do yourselves a favor and learn Hangul from the start. If one relies on
romanization at the start, then a lot of time will wasted later in
remediation of poor pronunciation. Basically 10 vowels and 14 consonants,
and a measure of dipthongs, are not hard to learn. Before you know it those
"°¡³ª´Ù" (or "ga na da", whoops...see I'm a casualty of romanization too)
symbols will become inscribed in your psyche.
That it's a tough language can't be denied, but for those willing to try,
the rewards are great indeed.
Best of luck,
Lawrence Driscoll