[KS] Recent literary events

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Sat Nov 5 01:47:04 EST 2005

My by now fairly well-known list of All (Book-length) Translations into English of Korean Literature
published since 2000 has been expanded to include Hwang Sok-Yong's 'The Guest' trans Kyung-Ja Chun and Maya
West published by Seven Stories Press (see http://www.sevenstories.com/Book/index.cfm?GCOI=58322100929170 )

Some may not have noticed the quite lengthy article about Ko Un by Robert Hass (former poet laureate)
published in the New York Review of Books dated Nov 3; it is mainly the Introduction he wrote for our
recently published edition of Ten Thousand Lives (Green Integer) and includes a brief overview of Korean
poetry as a whole. Another text worth looking at is Robert Pinsky's evocation of the poems of Manhae
inspired by Francisca Cho's recent publication 'Everything Yearned For' (Wisdom) that was published by the
Washington Post on P12 of their Booksworld section on October 30. The first article has to be paid for, the
second is free once you register.

Please tell me if I have not included something in that page.

Brother Anthony
Sogang University, Seoul,
http://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/anthony/