[KS] Films dealing with the Colonial Period

Hyung Pai hyungpai at eastasian.ucsb.edu
Sat Nov 5 12:35:27 EST 2005

Dear Richard,
i saw a funny one about "baseball" called YMCA with Song Kang-ho on
DVD. Because it is a comedy, it has some stock characters' portrayal
of the evil Japanese official but there are some plot twists such as
the friendship between the Japanese baseball team leader and a good
looking aristocratic young man who ultimately turns out of be a
secret anti-Japanese activist. There are also two bland American
missionary type characters as well as a "westernized" educated young
woman who becomes the coach (Again as in many TV dramas picked for
her looks and not acting skills).
The computer graphics of old Seoul were cartoonish at times (it may
have been deliberate) but still quite nostalgic. It is not really a
great movie but I think undergraduates will find many interesting
viewpoints to discuss on culture change, generational conflicts, role
of women and adaptation to westernization and esp. the theme of the
introduction of baseball is done in a loving manner. However, it
skipped the impact of Christianity completely. From a researcher
angle, I also found that the images of Seoul recreated was
fascinating since many were virtual reproductions of camera shots,
panaromas and angles taken by early Japanese architectural historians
and anthropologist (Sekino Tadashi, Torii Ryuzo) images of colonial
Korea at the turn of the century.  Their camera lense in my opinion
deliberately contrasted the old decaying Yangban houses and quaint
"backward" customs with the symbols of "Japanese Modernity and
civilization" such as new technological innovations including trams
and new western buildings .
Finally I want to thank the members for sending me the movie related
links which I hope to get to during the school break .