[KS] Words Without Borders

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Fri Nov 11 23:43:56 EST 2005

The November issue of the Online Magazine for International Literature 'Words Without Borders' is devoted
to writing from South Korea, it can be viewed at http://www.wordswithoutborders.org/ The summary index says:

The distinctive stylist Kim Hoon contributes "To the Longbills at Mangyeong River," a lovely slice of
wildlife, while Oh Jung-hee portrays a young girl and her fatherless family seeking all sorts of shelter in
a rural village during the Korean war in "Garden of My Childhood." On the urban side of the street, Lee
Gi-ho's muscular "Earnie" spotlights a young prostitute who finds stardom as a rapper, and Hwang Sok-yong's
"Camel's Eye" follows a young officer's dark night of the soul on the street as he returns to Korea from
Vietnam. Perennial Nobel nominee Ko Un is joined by fellow poets Kim Hye-soon, Lee Seong-Bok and Hwang Ji-woo.

Ha-yun Jung served as guest editor and major inspiration, she deserves thanks and congratulations, I reckon.

Brother Anthony
Sogang University, Seoul, Korea
http://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/anthony/