[KS] Two Sokkuram queries

rmo at mail.utexas.edu rmo at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Nov 19 14:33:17 EST 2005

Thanks to Professors Smith, Pak, and Lee.  This accords, I think, with what I've
been guessing.  Basically what I'm looking at is a document from pre-restoration
1911 that seems (and "seems" is an important word; it is not 100% crystal clear)
to describe how at least part of the grotto was painted, i.e. what colors.
Basically I'm looking for anything out there that would correlate, but failing
that I will probably just go with what I have.

Rob Oppenheim
Assistant Professor
Department of Asian Studies
University of Texas at Austin

Quoting eun at sfsu.edu:

> The most expansive publication with many beautiful illustrations is Hwang
> Su-
> young's book entitled, "Sokkuram Cave Temple" (NB 1063 H 93 1989).
>
> Eun Jung Smith
> Art History Department
> San Francisco State University
>
> Quoting Youngsook Pak <yp at soas.ac.uk>:
>
> > Dear Koreanists,
> >

> > I am quite sure that Sokkuram was originally painted and gilded, as all
> > images in cave temples were, both in the west and east. When you visit
> > Chinese cave temples, Yungang, Longmen, Binglingsi, Mogaoku in Dunhuang,
> > Kizil, Bezeklik, etc., you will see there are no exceptions. The recent
> > excavations of hundreds of stone images from Qingzhou in Shandong
> province
> > confirm this. Classical Greek marble sculptures, eg, Pergamon in Berlin
> and
> > Parthenon marbles in the British Museum, were once all painted, although
> they
> > have now become pure white.
> >

> > Youngsook Pak
> >
> > Department of Art and Archaeology