[KS] Officially condoned cultural vandalism: the destruction of hanok in Kahoi Dong

sangoak at snu.ac.kr sangoak at snu.ac.kr
Thu Sep 1 12:10:55 EDT 2005

Indeed, not only the destruction of hanok but also the

transformation
 of hanok is officially condoned by
the Seoul City government because of cultural ignorance.

The master carpenter Yi SUng-Op who reconstructed KyOngbok Palace built
his own house and sold it to my great-grandfather in 1889. I was born in this
house and lived until 1964. Fortunately it was selected as
cultural asset of Seoul (no. 20) in 1977, and moved to the north side of
Namsan in 1996. This (the first from the entrance) house at Namsan Hanok
MaUl (Village) is used as Yennal Ch'ajip (Old Tea House), which is somewhat
against safely preserving traditional architecture.

Besides some inside transformations, of particular
concern is the loss of the walls that divided the
anch'ae
 (women's
quarters), the
sarangch'ae
(men's quarters), and the

haengnangch'ae
 (servants' quarters) from one another.The inner walls
kept the socially proper distance from each other reflecting an important
hierarchy of everyday
yangban
 life. This residence is not authentically
restored yet by the Seoul City government because of their
cultural ignorance.

Sang-Oak Lee

Department of Korean, Seoul National University