[KS] AAS Korea panels announcements

Dr. Edward D. Rockstein ed4linda at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 1 11:21:17 EST 2006

Afostercarter at aol.com wrote: [snip]

 That said, the dominant flavours are changing.
 I was at Chicago last year (sort of: I had the flu),
 and formed the same impression that I got from
 reading this packed programme of Koreana too.

 Namely: Cultural studies rules! Which is fine. Yet
 unless memory plays tricks, back in the 1980s AAS
 Korean sessions used to offer a more balanced menu.

 Isn't it odd, and sad, that in 2006 there are hardly any
 panels on the mainstream politics or economics of
 contemporary Korea?
[snip]

And I say vive la difference!  I remember in the '60's and '70's how hard
it was to get anything not social sciences a modicum of attention!  And
JAS?!  Should have been JASS (adding Social).

Balance would, of course, be ideal, but in the good old days most of my
Korea-born colleagues seemed to be either in political science or linguistics.
Literature was Peter Lee and a few of us yang-nom-du'l--history, of course, being the bridging discipline.

Between 1969 & 1975, I taught Korean Cultural History and Traditional East Asian Civilization--a culturally oriented look at China, Korea, and Japan before 1644--at Indiana University.  I think that these were out of step with trends in those days, but would argue now, as I did then, that literature and art give a special insight into history omitted fro the Far Eastern histiographic traditions.

In my brief stint as an editor for Korean of JAS I pined to see less social sciences and more culture considered for publication.

Regards,

Doc Rock

                        Dr. Edward D. Rockstein
Korean Language Instructor
Language Learning Center (LLC)
891 Elkridge Landing Road, Rm 301
Linthicum Heights, MD 21090
Office 410-859-5672
  Fax 410-859-5737
ed4linda at yahoo.com

    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. "
  Edmund Burke