[KS] Pursuing research on Korean national identity

Anita Renda Kellogg anita_renda at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 3 11:15:53 EDT 2006

Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of looking for the appropriate Ph.D. program to continue
my studies.  My masters research looked at the complex issue of national
identity on the Korean Peninsula (the ideal of one Korean identity that
exists alongside the separate North and South Korean identities which have
emerged during the more than fifty years of division) and its impact on the
reunification process.  I would like to pursue a political science Ph.D.,
but I have been told that this topic sounds more like sociology.  I think
that national identity is certainly relevant to international relations and
comparative politics, but I haven't been able to find any ongoing research
on Korean national identity outside of the sociology / anthropology fields.
I am currently trying to reframe my research towards political science,
perhaps looking at security studies, post conflict resolution, or national
identity theory in a more general sense.  I'm wondering if anyone on this
list could point me to programs, preferably in North America, that I would
be able to pursue this particular research as well as academics who might be
interested in supervising this research.  I know you are all very busy, and
I thank you so much for your help.

Best regards,

Anita Kellogg