[KS] Colonization vs occupation

Henny Savenije webmaster at henny-savenije.pe.kr
Wed Apr 26 09:36:19 EDT 2006

When Koreans and also Korean scholars refer to the Japanese period,
they refer to the colonization period. When Europeans refer to the
German period they refer to the occupation period.

Can someone enlighten me why we speak about the Japanese colonization
and not about the Japanese occupation??

When I speak of colonization I think of the Dutch, Spanish, British
and Portuguese and even the French, but never of the Japanese, mainly
because the time the Japanese occupied many countries is in my
opinion too short to justify the term colonization.

Even though the Japanese exploited in many ways the local population
as the colonizers above mentioned, the Germans did the same thing, so
I am really interested why we don't speak about the German
colonization, but we do speak about the Japanese colonization

Any idea is appreciated.

Henny (Lee Hae Kang)
-----------------------------
http://www.henny-savenije.pe.kr Portal to all my sites
http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr (in English) Feel free
to discover Korea with Hendrick Hamel (1653-1666)
http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr/indexk2.htm In Korean
http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr/Dutch In Dutch
http://www.vos.henny-savenije.pe.kr Frits Vos Article about Witsen
and Eibokken and his first Korean-Dutch dictionary
http://www.cartography.henny-savenije.pe.kr (in English) Korea
through Western Cartographic eyes
http://www.hwasong.henny-savenije.pe.kr Hwasong the fortress in Suwon
http://www.oldKorea.henny-savenije.pe.kr Old Korea in pictures