[KS] Of steam trains and Paek Son Haeng

Stefan Ewing sa_ewing at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 3 15:25:06 EDT 2006

Dear Dr. Foster-Carter:

I can only really help out with your the third question.  The article you
linked to appears to be a Babelfishesque (i.e., automated) translation of a
Japanese text.  There, "SL" is used as an abbreviation for "steam
locomotive," accompanied as it is by the parenthesized Japanese term "jouki
kikansha" ("steam locomotive," which would be "chu^nggi kigwanch'a" in
Korean).  So it's some kind of steam train excursion (hence the photo)
that's being promoted.

This brings to mind two questions:

1. As far as I know from reading South Korean articles on the subject, much
of the North's rail system is electrified.  Given what would appear to be
severe problems with the power grid up there (as evidenced by the black void
in nighttime satellite photos of the region), is the railway system as
compromised as one might expect the rest of the country's infrastructure to
be?

If so--and granted, the linked article is only for a tourist
excursion--might steam locomotives be used elsewhere in the country in
regular service to make up for electricity shortages?  (During the apartheid
years, South Africa dealt with restricted oil imports by running coal-fired
steam trains long after many other countries had switched entirely to diesel
or electric locomotives.)

2. In South Korea, a steam excursion train used to run on weekends on the
Gyooeseon between Seoul and Uijeongbu.  Korail appears to have ended regular
passenger service on the line since then, and along with it, the steam runs
as well, evidently.  Does anyone know if that stream train is still running,
or what's happened to the locomotive?

***
Regarding your second question on Paek Son Haeng, we are told that the
statue was "unearthed," which begs the question, who, er, "earthed" it in
the first place?  Wouldn't this appear to be a case of rehabilitating
someone who previously fell out of favour with the state?  (Or is such a
reading between the lines just obvious?)

Yours,
Stefan Ewing