[KS] More KSR reviews + books available

Stephen Epstein Stephen.Epstein at vuw.ac.nz
Wed Aug 9 07:22:28 EDT 2006

Dear colleagues,

We have now added four more reviews to the Korean Studies Review
archives from our backlog with our print partner, Acta Koreana. They
are (with quick links):

Hesselink, Nathan (ed.), _Contemporary Directions: Korean Folk Music
Engaging the Twentieth Century and Beyond_, (2001) reviewed by Roald
H. Maliangkay
http://koreaweb.ws/ks/ksr/ksr06-06.htm

James, David E. and Kyung Hyun Kim (eds.), _Im Kwon-Taek: The Making
of a Korean National Cinema_, (2002) reviewed by Roald H. Maliangkay
http://koreaweb.ws/ks/ksr/ksr06-07.htm

Seth, Michael J., _Education Fever: Society, Politics, and the
Pursuit of Schooling in South Korea_, (2002) reviewed by Ookwhan Oh
http://koreaweb.ws/ks/ksr/ksr06-08.htm

Lee, Hyangjin, _Contemporary Korean Cinema: Identity, Culture and
Politics_, (2001) reviewed by Isolde Standish
http://koreaweb.ws/ks/ksr/ksr06-09.htm

Below is also an update of books currently available. Several have
been taken since my last announcement, but a few more have been added
to the list. Those who are interested in a book should write me
directly at <stephen.epstein at vuw.ac.nz>. For more information about
KSR and to access past reviews, see http://koreaweb.ws/ks/ksr/.

Best, Stephen

Louis Baldovi, ed., _A Foxhole View: Personal Accounts of Hawaii's Korean War
   Veterans_ (Hawaii)

Robert E. Buswell, Jr., ed., _Currents and Countercurrents: Korean
Influences on the East Asian Buddhist Traditions_ (Hawaii)

Young-Iop Chung, _Korea Under Siege, 1876-1945: Capital Formation and
Economic Transformation_ (Oxford)

Marion Eggert and Soon Mi Hong-Schunka, tr., _Die Geschichte von Hong
Kiltong: Ein		Raueberroman aus dem alten Korea_ (Iudicium
Verlag)

John Feffer, ed., _The Future of US-Korean Relations: The Imbalance
of Power_ (Routledge)

John Feffer, _North Korea/South Korea: U.S. Policy in a Time of
Crisis_ (SevenStories)

Valérie Gélézeau, ed., _La Corée en miettes: Régions et territories_
(L'Harmattan)

Hahn Moo-sook, tr. Young-Key Kim-Renaud, _And So Flows History_ (Hawaii)

J. E. Hoare and Susan Pares, _North Korea in the 21st Century: An
Interpretative Guide_ (Global Oriental)

Keith Howard (ed.), _Korean Pop Music: Riding the Wave_ (Global Oriental)

Kyung Moon Hwang, _Beyond Birth: Social Status in the Emergence of
Modern Korea_ (Harvard)

Ian Jeffries, _North Korea: A Guide to Economic and Political
Developments_ (Routledge)

Young Whan Kihl, _Transforming Korean Politics: Democracy, Reform and
Culture_ (M. E. Sharpe)

Ilpyong J. Kim, _Historical Dictionary of North Korea_ (Scarecrow)

Jackie Kim, _Hidden Treasures: Lives of First Generation Korean Women
in Japan_ (Rowman & Littlefield)

Joong-Seop Kim,  _The Korean Paekjong Under Japanese Rule: The Quest
for Equality and Human Rights_ (Routledge)

Kim Young-moo, tr. Brother Anthony and Jongsook Lee, _Virtual Reality_ (DapGae)

Kim Kwang-kyu,  tr. Brother Anthony and Kim Young-moo, _The Depths of
A Clam_ (White Pine Press)

Young-Key Kim-Renaud, _Creative Women of Korea: The Fifteenth Through
the Twentieth Centuries_ (M.E. Sharpe)

Ko Un, tr. Brother Anthony and Kim Young-moo, _Little Pilgrim_ (Parallax Press)

Ko Un, tr. Brother Anthony, Kim Young-moo and Gary G. Gach, _Ten
Thousand Lives_ (Green Integer)

Ku Sang, tr. Brother Anthony, _Even the Knots on Quince Trees Tell
Tales_ (DapGae)

Ku Sang, tr. Brother Anthony, _Eternity Today_ (Seoul Selection)

Andrei Lankov, _Crisis in North Korea: The Failure of
De-Stalinization 1956_ (Hawaii)

Ann Sung-Hi Lee, _Yi Kwang-Su and Modern Korean Literature: Mujông_
(Cornell East Asia Series)

Lee Ho-Chol, tr. Andrew Killick and Sukyeon Cho, _Southerners,
Northerners_ (EastBridge)

Lee Ho-Chol, tr. Theodore Hughes, _Panmunjom and Other Stories_ (EastBridge)

David Prendergast, _From Elder to Ancestor: Old Age, Death and
Inheritance in Modern Korea_ (Global Oriental)

Sonia Ryang, ed., _Koreans in Japan: Critical Voices from the Margin_
(Routledge)

Gi-Wook Shin, _Ethnic Nationalism in Korea: Genealogy, Politics, and
Legacy_ (Stanford)

Ho-min Sohn, ed., _Korean Language in Culture and Society_ (Hawaii)

David I. Steinberg, ed., _Korean Attitudes toward the United States:
Changing Dynamics_ (M. E. Sharpe)

Balazs Szalontai, _Kim Il Sung in the Khruschev Era_ (Stanford)

Yang Gui-ja, _Contradictions_, tr. Stephen Epstein and Kim Mi-Young
(Cornell East Asia Series)

Yi Nam-ho, U Ch'angje, Yi Kwangho, and  Kim Mi Hyun, tr. Ryu Youngju,
_Twentieth-Century Korean Literature_ (EastBridge)

Judith Van Zile, _Perspectives on Korean Dance_ (Wesleyan)

--

Dr Stephen J Epstein
Director
Stephen.Epstein at vuw.ac.nz