[KS] How unequal is South Korea, really?

Norman Thorpe cor1882 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 23 20:48:34 EDT 2006

A Korea Times article on Aug. 1 also may reflect a
declining sense of economic equality and job
stability. The report was about a survey conducted by
the Seoul Economic Daily July 20-22. Much of the
article was about views on the Korea-US FTA
negotiations, but it also contained these paragraphs:

"The survey also showed that the number of those who
think they belong to the middle class is decreasing.
Around 36 percent said they were middle-class citizens
in September 2005, but that figure dwindled to 25.5
percent in July 2006.

"The respondents also said that to be considered rich,
they should have more than 1.17 billion won ($1.1
million) in financial assets, excluding real estate.
(The 1.17 billion won figure may be an average of the

"Around 62 percent of those interviewed consider
investment in real estate the best way for increasing
wealth.....

"Most of the respondents said the proper age for
retirement is 61.2, with around 61 percent of them
believing they will be able to retire from the
companies they are currently working for.
(Again, 61.2 may be the average of what the
respondents said was the proper age for retirement --
NT)

"Nearly 94 percent of the respondents said it is
necessary to introduce a ``salary peak'' system that
reduces salaries after a certain age in return for a
guarantee that they can continue to work until their
retirement."

http://search.hankooki.com/times/times_view.php?term=middle+class++&path=hankooki3/times/lpage/nation/200607/kt2006073117171411950.htm&media=kt

If you have trouble with the link, just go to
www.koreatimes.co.kr and use the search button to
search for "middle class" .

Norman Thorpe
Whitworth College