[KS] Seeking Advice about Graduate Degree Programs: Request from a Russian Student in Korean Studies

Vladimir Tikhonov vladimir.tikhonov at ikos.uio.no
Wed Dec 20 05:03:44 EST 2006

Dear Natalia (and anybody else who may be potentially interested),

Norway is not exactly an English-speaking country, but the overwhelming
portion of the academic work is done here in English, and, in addition,
the Norwegian universities have some MA programmes taught exclusively in
English. In case of UiO (Oslo University), I personally supervise the
one called "East Asian Studies Master"
(http://www.uio.no/studier/program/aas-master/east-asian/). It does not
deal exclusively with the int-l relations - one of our former students,
for example, defended her MA thesis on one of Kim Siseup's novels - but
the int-l relations figure prominently as one of the disciplines being
taught to our students
(http://www.uio.no/studier/emner/hf/ikos/EAST4505/index-eng.xml) , and
it is fully possible to specialize in int-l relations while writing
one's MA thesis. Thankfully, Norway charges neither its citizens nor
foreigners for the education (so far...), but living costs here are
probably among the highest in the world. So, the citizens of the
countries deemed to be in need of assistance (Russia is on the list) are
eligible to apply for stipend through the so-called "Quota Scheme"
(http://www.uio.no/english/academics/admission/quota/). Unfortunately,
the application deadline for those wishing to begin their studies with
UiO from next autumn, has just passed. I wonder if the Norwegian
University Center in St-Petersburg (http://www.hf.uio.no/st-petersburg/)
may have more information about the rest of the stipend programmes
available for the Russian citizens.

best greetings,

Vladimir Tikhonov/Pak Noja

--
Vladimir Tikhonov,
Department of Culture Studies and Oriental Languages,

http://www.geocities.com/volodyatikhonov/volodyatikhonov.html
Electronic classrooms: East Asian/Korean Society and Politics:
                        http://folk.uio.no/vladimit/eastasianstudies.htm
                        http://www.geocities.com/uioeastasia2002/main.html
                        East Asian/Korean Religion and Philosophy:

http://www.geocities.com/uioeastasia2003/classroom.html