[KS] Query: whether taekyon was banned by the choson court

Matthew Benuska nuski at verizon.net
Sat Feb 18 04:43:38 EST 2006

I received the following query from a fellow who's working on a dissertation
regarding the practice of martial arts in Korea during the late 19th century
(before and during the colonial period).
(Since I'm unfamiliar with the subject, I don't understand his concern over
"starting a flame war".)

Thank you,
Matthew Benuska

"My questions are:
1) Does anyone have any evidence to support the assertion that the Choson
Court banned the civilian practice of martial arts?
2) Does anyone have any evidence that the Japanese Government General did,
and if so, any evidence of enforcement of this ban?
3) Were there any legitimate (i.e. legal) privately run martial arts schools
in Korea prior to 1945?
4) Were the martial arts used by kkangp'ae learned in Japanese run public
schools prior to the introduction MA into the public school curriculum in
1920, were they learned "underground," or was it a combination of the two? "

  _____