[KS] Western Equivalents to Korean Area sizes

David Mason mntnwolf at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 25 20:52:56 EST 2006

The way that I wrote these when I was writing for 
KNTO (now the KTO) just last year, after consultation
with managers of the Publications Department:

> µµ  -do    Province or Island
> ±º  -gun   County (part of a Province)
> ¸é  -myeon District (part of a County)
> À¾  -eup   Town (capital of a County or District)
> ¸®  -ri/ni or µ¿ -dong   Village (within a Myeon)

> ½Ã  -si    City (part of a Province)
> ±¸  -gu    District (part of a City)
> µ¿ -dong   neighborhood  (within a Gu)

> Ư½Ã Teuksi  Metropolitan City (divided into Gu)

--- Roland Wilson <roland_wilson at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Group,
> As you all well know, there are so many different
> terms for the size of areas in Korean, and each
> term, except for city and province seems to be 
> called something a bit different depending on the
> reference.  Would anyone know a good reference for
> these (top down in size, in order I hope)?
> µµ Do-Province
> ±º Kun-?
> ±¸ Ku-?
> ±¸¿ª Kuyok-?
> ½Ã Si-City (within city-Dong, district? or
> neighborhood?)
> ±º Kun-?
> µµ Do-?
> À¾ Eup-?
> ¸é Myeon-?
> ÀÌ Ri/Ni-?
> Ư±¸ Tukgu-Special Districts?  (not a common)
> Ư½Ã Tuksi-Special City? (Also not common)
> Á÷½Ã Giksi-Directly controlled city
> Á÷È° Gikhwal-?
> Did I miss any?  Many of the books I read want to
> classify Ku and Kun both 
> as districts, but I do not think that this is
> correct, since I think Kuyok 
> may be district.  Also, there are size differences
> between Eup, Myeon and 
> Ri/Ni, but yet a lot of books put them in together
> and some call the 
> countries, yet this may not be correct neither.
> Thank you.
> Regards,
> Roland Wilson

David A. Mason  
Professor of Korean Tourism, KyungHee University, Seoul

WEBSITE:  http://san-shin.org
Mobile Phone: 011-9743-9753        
home phone or fax: 82-2-442-7391

More information about the Koreanstudies mailing list