[KS] Kisaeng

Lauren W. Deutsch lwdeutsch at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 19 14:31:42 EST 2006

To add a little twist to this timely topic (I'm writing a piece about the film incorporating the role and representations of women in performing arts for an upcoming Kyoto Journal special issue on "gender".)

I have met in Los Angeles, my home, a contemporary "gisaeng", proprietress of an upscale norebang frequented by Koreatown "elite". She has since abandoned that business, underwent a naerimgut due to simbyong and has set herself up formally as a Buddhist-influenced shaman. Additionally, she purchased an extant afterschool enrichment "school" business to run with her adult son. This woman is quite fashionable, educated, a talented musician and very sharp.

Lauren Deutsch